Are the kids away? If you’re a teenager with a boyfriend/girlfriend, are the parents away? If this is the case, or even if you’re a couple who already has plenty of alone time, this recipe for salmon & eggplant sandwiches for two makes for a fun recipe to make together and an a nice romantic dinner recipe to eat together. In addition to the eggplant and salmon sandwiches, we’re also including a delicious dessert recipe for apple home fries, but we’ll get to that part in due time.
For fans of a Mediterranean style diet, this recipe is sure to be a winner. Bold flavors abound with smoked salmon, cooked eggplant squares, a zesty garlic aoili, crispy ciabatta bread and cracked Moroccan black olives all making a statement. This recipe isn’t a bland one by any stretch, so if you’re ready for some serious flavor and some fun in the kitchen, then read on, because this one’s for you.
The first thing we’ll go over is the aoili preparation as generally, it makes sense to make the aoili before anything else, as it’s added as the sandwich is being assembled.
DILL & GARLIC AOILI RECIPE
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup of Miracle Whip
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp of ground dill
- 1/2 tbsp of celery salt
- 1/2 tbsp of iodized table salt
- 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Scoop 3/4 cup of Miracle Whip into a measuring cup and then transfer it to a mixing bowl
- Peel 4 garlic cloves and chop them finely. Afterward, add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add one 1/2 tbsp each of iodized table salt, celery salt, ground dill and olive oil to the mixing bowl. Then add 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Mix all of the ingredients together well and you’ll have your aoili. Cover it up and refrigerate it while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Here’s what your aoli should look like when you’re done:
Now that your aoili has been prepared and properly covered, it’s time to get going on preparing the eggplant and other elements needed for your sandwiches. Here are the things you’re going to need:
- 8 oz smoked salmon
- 1 eggplant
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 1/4 lb black Moroccan style olives
- olive oil
- Wash the eggplant, dry it and then cut it in half widthwise.
- Cut 4 1/2 inch thick slices from the fullest part of each half of the eggplant, for a total of 8 slices.
- Cut the skin off of the edges of each slice, forming a square piece.
- Place four of the slices on a plate of very shallow bowl and sprinkle salt on each piece. Then add the next four on top and salt them as well. Afterward, place a heavy object on top to press down on the eggplant for 15 minutes. This salting and pressing process prevents it from developing a mushy texture when cooked.
- Spray vegetable oil on to a griddle or large frying pan and place each eggplant slice on top. Press with a spatula to speed up the cooking process. Frequently flip the slices as you’re cooking them. When they develop a golden color as displayed below, they are done cooking and should be placed on a plate to cool.
- Cut your ciabatta rolls in half. Drizzle the inner side of each piece with olive oil and place it on the same skillet or frying pan as you used for the eggplant. Press likely and only heat for 2 minutes – you’re going for crispy bread, not toast.
- When the ciabatta rolls are ready, place them inner side up on a plate. Coat the bottom and top pieces of the bread with the aoili you made earlier.
- Layer 2 eggplant slices and one quarter of the smoked salmon on the bottom piece of each ciabatta roll. Repeat until you have two layers of both.
- Add as many olives as you’d like to the top pieces of the ciabatta rolls and close up the sandwich.
Did you enjoy your dinner? Well now it’s time for dessert! This one consists of a very simple recipe but is a delicious treat that any lover of apples and cinnamon will adore. Its name is a bit of a misnomer – though called Apple Home Fries, these are actually served raw. You could bake them briefly if you wished to have them hot, but this is June and you want a dessert that’ll help you cool off. They get their name from the fact that you leave the skin on the apple pieces that are cut in small wedges, making them look somewhat like traditional potato home fries.
Here are the things you’ll need:
- four jazz apples
- an apple corer
- one large mixing bowl
- a knife for cutting the apples
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- t tbsp of honey
- 3/4 cup of sugar
Now that you know the ingredients, here’s what you’ll want to do with them:
- Wash and dry all of the apples. Place them on a plate and press an apple corer through them until the apple is fully sliced. Discard the core and repeat the process for all of the apples.
- When your apples have been sliced, take your knife and slice them into small chunks, generally about 4-5 per apple slice.
- Place your apple slices into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and honey.
- Mix the ingredients well and refrigerate, giving the ingredients some time to spread their flavor through the apples.
- Remove from the refrigerator, divide up into individual servings and enjoy!
We suggest preparing the Apple Home Fries after having your sandwiches as it’ll break up the cooking session and let you concentrate more on how much you’re enjoying the meal and the nice intimate dining session you’re having together. What you do when waiting for the apples to be ready is up to you, but they’ll be ready in about an hour. The next time you find yourself with a free night and are looking for a fun and tasty activity to do together as a couple, we suggest this dinner and dessert combination.